As you land on Yerevan, it starts smiling and shining on you like a crazy diamond. From the very start it welcomes you like a mother embraces her child, and therefore no visitor ever feels like in a foreign city here. As the host, Yerevan offers many activities and attractions to keep her guests busy throughout the day, but Yerevan is not limited to only that. What about the spectacular places to see? What about the beautiful churches both modern and ancient, old fortresses, recently and centuri...
Originally conceived by Alexander Tamanyan, and realized by Yerevan chief architect Jim Torosyan the project of Cascade is one the of most successful ones. Other than serving as a link between the Yerevan center and the Haghtanak Park, both Cascade and its surrounding area are the preferred place for pastime and amusement for the majority of people living in Armenia or simply visiting it. The complex houses the Cafesjian Center for arts, which regularly comes up with most unique and impressive exhibitions.
Erebuni Fortress - Arin Berd
Built in 782 BC by Argishti I, Erebuni Fortress carries an immense historical significance implying that still 3000 years ago people lived on that territory. Erebuni was built as a military stronghold and the main purpose it was to serve was to protect the kingdom’s northern borders. Not only Erebuni was firmly ensconced by 10-12 meter high defensive walls, but also behind them there were central and inner walls, which were separating the buildings. The fortress territory was conditionally divided into 3 parts: religious, palatial and economical. The religious part was situated on the south-western part of the square. It’s where the temple to the God Khaldi was situated.
With a history of going back to the 13th century, Katoghike church also known as the Holy Mother of God Katoghike Church is a medieval Armenian Church. Currently, a new religious complex is being constructed. The construction is particularly concentrated on the north side of the Katoghike church. Two buildings are planned to be built – Saint Anna Church (to be named so after the couple’s wife that finances the construction) and a building that will serve as the Yerevan residency of Karekin II, the Catholicos of All Armenians.
Made of hammered copper, Mother Armenia Statue, which came to replace Stalin’s statue, has been adding to the historical meaning of Victory Park since 1967. With a sword in her hands and a shield at her feet the Statue represents a female figure who seems to guard Armenia against any foreign invasion and danger. The Monument is situated in Victory Park, which was named so to commemorate the Second World War victory.
Designed by renowned and prominent Armenian architect Alexander Tamanian the Opera House, located on Tumanyan Street, was opened on January 20 in 1933. It took around 20 years of construction works to bring the building to its present day shape. The Halls are designed like amphitheaters, due t which the stages are seen for everyone. Over 200 ballets and operas have been performed there.
Surrounded by 7 major buildings and intersected by various streets Republic Square is one of the main tourist destinations and most beloved places in Yerevan. The square plan was designed by Yerevan chief architect Alexander Tamanyan within 1924-1929 and was further developed until 1952. The square covers 14,000 square meters and frequently hosts concerts and parades organized at the highest level possible
Saint (Surp) Sarkis Cathedral
Saint (Surp) Sarkis Cathedral has been functioning since the earliest Christian era as a complex comprising St. Sarkis, St. Gevork and St. Hakob churches. In 1679 it suffered from the terrible Yerevan earthquake, and since then has twice undergone reconstruction. The church was renovated and improved upon a plan drawn by Rafael Israelyan. Due to renovation Saint (Surp) Sarkis Cathedral is today one of the most visited and loved churches.
Saint John the Baptist Church
Saint John the Baptist Church was constructed in 1710 in the place of a medieval church that was completely destroyed during the 1679 destructive earthquake. The construction was funded by Melik Aghamal. The church was fully reconstructed in 1980s. In 2000, an educational, scientific and cultural center teaching modern and ancient Armenian languages (Grabar), foreign languages like English, French and German, history of Armenia and the Armenian Apostolic Church was built on the site.
Sports and Concerts Complex
Opened in 1983, Karen Demirchyan Sports and Concerts Complex was twice renovated and is now not only in an excellent state but is also modernly equipped. It comes with five halls each of which serves different purposes. The largest hall includes an ice arena open all year round. So far the Sports and Concerts Complex has hosted a number of concerts of such world known artists and bands like Uriah Heep, Deep Purple and Garou.
St. Grigor Lusavorich church
St. Grigor Lusavorich Cathedral is located in Kentron District, on Tigran Mets Avenue and is close to the Zoravar Andranik underground station. The construction of the cathedral started in 1997 after Catholicos of All Armenians Karekin I performed a ground blessing service theer and was completed in 2001. The cathedral was officially opened on September 23, 2001. A few days after the consecration Pope John Paul II visited the Saint Grigor Lusavorich Cathedral.
The Blue Mosque
The Yerevan Blue Mosque is the only surviving mosque in Yerevan, which was built in the 18th century for Persian followers of Islam to worship their God. The Blue Mosque covers around 75,000 square feet of prime land and includes an inner courtyard, meeting halls and a theological school (madrasa).
Tsitsernakaberd - The Genocide Memorial
Tsitsernakaberd - The Genocide Memorial was officially opened in Tsitsernakaberd on the 47th anniversary of the Soviet Armenia, that is on November 29, 1967. Designed by architects Qalashyan, Tarkhanyan and artist Van Khachatur, the memorial onsists of three main buildings – the Memorial Wall, the Sanctuary of Eternity (Memorial Hall & Eternal Flame) and the Memorial Column “The Reborn Armenia.”
Yerevan Train Station of Sasuntsi David
Yerevan Train Station of Sasuntsi David is one of the ten train stops popular due to the Sasuntsi David Monument that rises in the Sasuntsi David square. It is located in Shengavit District of Yerevan and from there the Sasuntsi David Square, Yerevan railway station, Tigran Mets Avenue and Sasuntsi David Monument are within easy reach. Sasuntsi David Monument was unveiled in 1959 and is currently one of the primary symbols of Armenian people’s yearning for freedom.